Oh hi....long time no write. Seems to be the summer theme lately, but I promise…
I am so excited to finally post today. Not only am I writing about my favorite salad, but am finally playing with my new Macbook, and yes there is a learning curve! Any Mac lovers out there? Holla!
One of my favorite bloggers, Sue from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz is hosting this weeks “Skinny” #SundaySupper and I love everything she makes because 1) she’s a Registered Dietitian so you know you can trust her and 2) she uses fresh and real ingredients.
When I realized I never…ever posted about caprese salad, I just couldn’t believe it. I don’t know how much of a secret this is, but I have a somewhat addictive, infatuation with tomatoes. I am so in love with them. I think I’ve said it before that I would rather have Joe come home with a handful of fresh organic heirlooms than jewelry. Yes..well…ya know.
I think my furthest memory of tomatoes is watching my grandmother grow her tomato garden back in New Jersey. I can remember that smell to this day, that earthy and bright smell of a freshly-picked tomato stem. Ever since then I have been succumbed to the smell of fresh tomatoes. And I have to add, I am quite picky with these earthy jewels as well. I won’t eat any tomato that has been refrigerated since it eliminates all the beautiful flavor. When I go shopping, I have a ritual of smelling the stem end and almost…should I say..harassing the tomato as I check out all of its curves and humps. It is an infatuation, I tell ya!
And as with tomatoes, caprese is my favorite salad, ever! yes, Ever! I probably have this salad no less than once a week. It’s simple, crisp and clean. Minimal ingredients so you can taste the beauty of each one individually and not overpowering to taste them all together. Of course you want to use the best ingredients you can find since there are so few. The way I dress my caprese is just with a generous pinch of kosher salt, a good drizzle of good olive oil, aged balsamic vinegar and if I’m feeling it, a pinch of dried oregano. The cheese I love is fresh mozzarella. It’s different than the drier version that is popular in stores. This fresh mozzarella has a little bit less fat content than the drier one and is stored in brine to retain moisture. It is so easy to tear with your (clean) fingers instead of cutting into it because it is so soft and gentle. I absolutely love fresh mozzarella and if you can find it, indulge! This weeks Sunday Supper is about “skinny” recipes, but a little doesn’t hurt anyone, right?
This is the oil and vinegar I use for my caprese salad. It’s special….verrry special. Trust me, the price is worth it. Oh, and excuse the “used” vinegar bottle!
Do you love tomatoes as much as I do?
- 1/2 lb of various tomatoes sliced thickly
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella
- Few leaves of fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano optional
- Good extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Aged balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- Arrange tomatoes on a place. If using cherry tomatoes, cut them in half. Season tomatoes with salt (and oregano if using).
- Gently tear the mozzarella and scatter it along the tomatoes.
- Stack the fresh basil leaves together and cut into strips, or just simple tear with fingers and scatter along tomatoes.
- Drizzle salad with olive oil and vinegar.
Please check out all the other “Skinny” goodness!
Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
- Napa Cabbage wrapped Chinese Spring Rolls by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- #DairyFree Cream of Broccoli Soup by Galactosemia in PDX
- Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by NeighborFood
- Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Tomato Basil Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Skinny Beef Chili by Webicurean
Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
- Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Kale Salad with Pomegranates, Apples and Walnuts by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Salad Wraps by MamaMommyMom
- Mashed Cauliflower by Supper for a Steal
- Lamb Florentine Burger with Tzatziki by Country Girl in the Village
- Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wraps by The Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad by Family Foodie
- Parchment-Poached Salmon by Simply Gourmet
- Maddy’s Arugula Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Light chicken enchiladas by My Cute Bride
- Pear Almond Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pasta Primavera by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cauliflower Fried Rice by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ahi Tuna Salad by The Urban Mrs
- Soba Noodles with Edamame and Green Onions by Hip Foodie Mom
- Scallops Hong Kong Style by Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Garlic, Chicken & Herb White Pizza by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Polynesian Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Herb Roasted Salmon with Steamed Cabbage & Peas by The Lovely Pantry
- Turkey and Black Bean Taco Burgers by In The Kitchen With K P
- Salmon Tikka Wraps with Cucumber Raita by Soni’s Food
- Whole wheat pasta with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs by I Run For Wine
- Chipotle Black Bean Burgers with Baked Garlic Home Fries by Curious Cuisiniere
- The Ninja Baker’s Sake & Miso Salmon by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Parsnip Fries by Gourmet Drizzles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots by Mangoes and Chutney
- Italian Sub Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Swiss Chard and Quinoa Croquettes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette by Sustainable Dad
- Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad Sandwich by Damn Delicious
- Confetti Cabbage and Salmon Wraps by The Roxx Box
- Escarole and Beans by Midlife Roadtrip
- Cajun Black Beans by Ruffles and Truffles
- Caprese salad by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Skinny Wholegrain Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek Yogurt & Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate Avocado Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Tiramisu Parfaits by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sugar Free Banana Almond Muffins by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coconut Cinnamon Buns by Juanita’s Cocina
- Warm Apple Crumble by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Apricots by girlichef
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipe by Masala Herb
- Skinny Chocolate Almond Pudding by Basic N Delicious
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday Supper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. This week we will be sharing out special skinnified recipes! Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hash tag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Join us Around the Family Table this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time and share your favorite healthy recipes with us!