We have had some fun these hast few weeks. I think you remember me…
An easy and impressive side dish. Roasted cauliflower seasoned with fragrant spices of cumin and curry along with fresh rosemary and sweet raisins.
There is something special that happens when a vegetable slowly roasts in an oven and begins to break down. The vegetable (in this case, cauliflower) becomes caramelized and sweet and sugars begin to ooze out.
The flavor, texture and aesthetics begin to darken and almost turns into addicting candy. There is not one veggie that I have roasted and couldn’t get enough of…and I LOVE roasted cauliflower! Usually I’ll just throw whatever I have left over in the oven and make a quick tahini sauce for dipping or add them to pasta salads with roasted vegetables which really flavors it up!
How to Crisp Cauliflower in the Oven
Before we dive into the layers of flavors in this delicious cauliflower recipe, here are a few tips on how to roast cauliflower in the oven.
- Chop the cauliflower into florets into equal sizes. I like to keep the cauliflower florets about a 1/2 inch thickness.
- Pre-heat oven to a high heat of 400 degrees Fahrenheit, which will help caramelize the cauliflower really well.
- Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet by piling on the cauliflower. Instead lay the cauliflower florets in a single layer, which will ensure caramelization.
- Toss the cauliflower in oil, I love using a fruity olive oil.
How to Cook Roasted Cauliflower with Rosemary
I was in the mood to play with flavors for a quick and simple vegetable side dish. I had 1 head of cauliflower, 1 sweet potato left and a few sprigs of rosemary. Everything (except for the raisins) was tossed with fragrant curry powder, garam masala and a touch of warm cumin.
The aromatic spices paired gorgeously with the rustic rosemary and then you get a bite of sweetness from the raisin which really grabs all your taste buds.
Coat everything generously with olive oil (except for the raisins, you’ll add those in a bit) and roast at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes. Then scatter the raisins and roast for an additional 10 minutes.
And just to add, I’m sure this would be amazing with other vegetables as well…such as roasted carrots and would be a fantastic Thanksgiving side dish as well.
Roasted Cauliflower with Rosemary and Raisins
- 1 head of cauliflower stem removed and cut into 1/2 inch florets
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 Tb fresh rosemary chopped + extra sprig for garnish
- 1 cup raisins or golden raisins
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Toss the vegetables with the rosemary, olive oil and spices until well coated.
- Roast vegetables for 20 minutes or until cauliflower begins soften and caramelizes on the edges.
- After 20 minutes, scatter raisins and gently toss again. Continue roasting for another 10 minutes until the raisins begin to plump up.
- Once done, allow vegetables to cool for a few minutes and serve.
Other Cauliflower Side Dishes To Try:
Aloo Gobi: Indian spiced cauliflower with turmeric and jalapeno.
Jeweled Cauliflower Rice with Pomegranate and Pistachios