Keftikas were a staple when I was growing up in New York. We used to…
Confession: I don’t watch sports. I didn’t know who was playing when and on what day and where until just hours ago. Seriously…no joke. And I’m married to the same kind of person too. He owuldn’t know a hockey puck from a home run if it smacked him in the face.
But….we do like the food. And the commercials. And maybe the half-time show too but those have been gettin’ pretty crazy lately.
So..what we are making for Game Day..or should I call it ‘Pause through the game and just watch the commercials day’…sorry…don’t hate me!
Mediterranean nachos is where it’s at! A much healthier and just as filling and even more delicious than the traditional loaded nachos! These guys are packed with gorgeous eye popping color, crunch, flavor, spices and with nearly half the fat!
These are some of my favorite flavors…turmeric and cumin, hummus with tahini, cucumber and mint yogurt and bright fresh lemon juice.
And this is all quite easy to put together as well! I am sure you have chicken and hummus in your kitchen now and some tomatoes to throw in. But it’s the balance and pairing of why all the flavors work magically together.
I will provide homemade recipes for the hummus and cucumber yogurt, but if you have store bought, that is just fine! The chicken can be done ahead of time and shredded when you’re ready to make the “nachos”.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon zest and juiced
- Small bunch of fresh mint chopped
- 1 garlic clove grated
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and pepper to taste
Israeli Chopped Salad
- Please go HERE for recipe
- Please go HERE for recipe
- 1 cup feta cheese cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup pitted olives chopped
- 1/4 red onion chopped
- First, season your chicken breasts with turmeric, cumin, zaatar and salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and coat everything evenly all over chicken. Roast chicken in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes, or until fully cooked through.
- When done, allow to cool enough to handle and use your hands or forks to shred chicken. Reserve on plate.
- You can also make the pita chips at the same time as the chicken. Place pita wedges on a bking sheet and season with turmeric, zaatar, cumin and salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Reserve on a plate.
- To build your nachos, start with the pita chips on the bottom, then chicken, feta cheese, chopped salad, olives adn top with hummus, yogurt sauce and finally with chopped onion.
Check out what everyone else made for Game Day!
Game Day Appetizers:
- Honey Mustard Pretzel Crunch from Shockingly Delicious
- Salt and Vinegar Wings from Casa de Crews
- Saucy Wings and Thighs from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Macaroni and Cheese Spring Rolls from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Steak Rolls from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Alpine Sliders from Manu’s Menu
- Hellfire Wings from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Easy Nacho Bar from Momma’s Meals
- Jalapeno Popper Taquitos from Curious Cuisiniere
- Skinny Game Day Guacamole Potato Skins from Daily Dish Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Cups from Alida’s Kitchen
- Spinach-Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers from La Cocina de Leslie
- BBQ Veggie Mini Burgers from Happy Baking Days
- Spicy Roasted Corn Shrimp Dip from Food Lust People Love
- Honey-Sriracha Pigs in a Blanket from Hip Foodie Mom
- Beer Cheese Fondue from Melanie Makes
- Cheesy Artichoke and Garlic Bread from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Whole Wheat Pepperoni Pizza Bites from Meal Planning Magic
- Personal Chili Pots from MealDiva
- Italian Spring Rolls from Noshing with The Nolands
- Mexican Meatballs with Queso Blanco from Cooking on the Ranch
- Parmigiano Crisps from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Buffalo Chicken Potstickers from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mediterranean Nachos from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Chinese Barbecue Wings from girlichef
- Mini Veggie Quesadillas from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Roasted Tomato Hummus from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Cashew Baba Ghanoush : Roasted Eggplant Dip from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip Potato Skins from Family Foodie
- Lemon Bay Pan Roasted Shrimp from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure
- Honey Sesame Seed Crackers from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
Game Day Entrees:
- Super Sloppy Joes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Buffalo Chicken Chili from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Meatball and Mozzarella Sandwiches from Cookin’ Mimi
- Super Bowl Bento from Ninja Baking
- Vegetarian “Chorizo” and Black Bean Chili from Foxes Love Lemons
- Twice Baked Chili Cheese Potatoes from Neighborfood
- Barbecue Chicken Sloppy Sandwiches from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Easy Vegetarian Chili from Delaware Girl Eats
- Game Day Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Dr. Pepper Turkey Chili from The Texan New Yorker
Game Day Desserts:
- Heavenly Hash Cookies from The Foodie Patootie
- Cookie Dough Billionaire Bars from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Streusel Bars from Magnolia Days
- Coffee Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake Squares from Desserts Required
- Microwave Caramel Popcorn from Pies and Plots
- Mini Coconut Cups from Basic N Delicious
- Triple Chocolate S’mores Brownies from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cracker Jack Candy from What Smells So Good?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday!
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world.
Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag
and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.