Jewish Penicillin- Your Favorite Chicken Soup
- 4-6 Chicken thighs and/or breasts skin on, bone in. (Kosher preferred)
- 1 c carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 c celery chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 rutabaga peeled and chopped
- 8 c chicken stock low sodium
- 1/2 c uncooked white rice long, short grain, jasmine, basmati, anything you have on hand
- Flour for dusting
- 1 Tb of butter
- Thyme springs chopped
- Small bunch of fresh parsley chopped
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up a large dutch oven with olive oil and butter.
- Season your chicken with salt and pepper and dredge with flour, removing any excess. Begin browning in pot until brown on one side and then turn over to brown other side.
- When chicken is golden brown, remove it and set aside on a plate.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and rutabaga to the Dutch oven and saute for about 5-7 minutes on medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Add fresh thyme, cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add chicken stock and the reserved chicken. Place the lid on and simmer for 45 minutes.
- *Should see some bubbles, but not at a rolling boiling.
- When 45 minutes is done, remove the chicken and place on another clean plate or cutting board. It should feel really soft and falling apart. Using 2 forks, remove the skin and bones and shred the meat.
- *At this point, use a ladle or large spoon to "skim" any excess fat that floats to the top of the soup.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the pot, add the uncooked rice and parsley. Cover with lid again and simmer for another 20 minutes until rice is cooked.