Welcome to Day #3 of Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! Each day we will be celebrating the holidays with a different set of Christmas-themed treats, as well as a fabulous Christmas giveaway. We hope you enjoy this fabulous event. Tune in each day starting today, Monday, December 9th and ending Saturday, December 14th.
I thought it would be slightly appropriate to offer a Jewish cookie during a week long of #Christmasweek treats. I know Hanukkah is over, but I just can’t stop myself from creating rugelach recipes! I think this is what..my 3’rd take on flavor combination with rugelach and I am still hot and going! I have crazy ideas in my head like coconut and pineapple, or a savory rugelach with fresh herbs and a decadent cheese or maybe a take on the classic New York everything bagel?! Ahh…I love rugelach.
The idea of pear rugelach came to me when I made poached pears the other night. There is really nothing better on a wintery evening then the smell of slowly poaching pears in deep cinnamon flavors and red wine. So I thought..why not make it into a cookie!? The result was almost what I hoped for. When you poach pears, you can either leave them slightly firm, or if you’re like me and decided to use overly ripe pears, your poach pears can get very soft very quickly. So my initial thought of having small pieces of bite-sized pear floating in-between the layers of dough didn’t exactly happen as I hoped. However, not all is lost! Instead, I strained the soft pear from the wine and lightly mashed it with a fork. I used this as my fruit layer, which was beautiful. And of course, rugelach is known to have a fruit and nut combination, so lightly toasted almonds paired up perfectly to offer a smokey crunch to the wine soaked fruit.
And before I forget…all the glorious wine that the fruit and cinnamon and orange has been slowly soaking in…keep save! That is amazing as an after dinner drink with your freshly made rugelach!
- 3 pears (I used Bosc), peeled, quartered and seeds removed
- 2 c red wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Few strips of orange
- 1 vanilla bean
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 c chopped almonds, toasted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 egg + water
- In a small pot, add all the poaching ingredients together and allow to cook on a low boil. Cook until the pears are fork tender. (Note* to get strips of orange, use a vegetable peeler to peel of the skin of the orange and use about 3 for this recipe).
- When done, remove the pears from the wine and lightly mash with a fork. Strain any leftover wine and reserve the pear. Keep wine for another use.
- To make the dough, cream the butter and cream cheese using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment until well combined and light and fluffy. Add sugar, salt, vanilla and mix well. Then on low speed, slowly add in the flour until well combined.
- Form dough into a ball and cut into quarters. Wrap each dough ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix together the rugelach nut mixture.
- Next, assemble the rugelach.
- Take 1 dough ball out and on a floured surface roll out dough to 9-10 inches round. Use a round plate (about 9 in.) to cut and make an even circle. Save excess dough scraps to re-roll. (All the left over scraps will be enough to roll out for another 8 rugelach).
- Take 2 Tb of pear mixture and spread it evenly onto the dough.
- Take 2 Tb of nut mixture and sprinkle it evenly over the pear.
- Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut in into 8ths and roll each wedge from the outside-in. You can see step by step instructions on how to roll rugelach here.
- Place all rugelach, point side down on a non-stick baking sheet and brush with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until rugelach begin to get golden brown.
Visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
Ginger Bears by Cravings of a Lunatic
Santa’s Favorite Holiday Bark by The Weekend Gourmet
Gingerbread Linzer Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
Gingerbread Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce by See Aimee Cook
Bourbon Barrels by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Toasted Almond Shortbread by The Messy Baker
Midori Melon Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti by Noshing With The Nolands
Wine Poached Pear and Almond Rugelach by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
Bebinca – Layered Goan Cake by Masala Herb
Artichoke Dip Tarts by Food Lust People Love
Layered Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Peanut Brittle by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Peppermint Chocolate Cupcakes by The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
Chocolate Dipped Baked Potato Chips by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Chocolate Chip Collapsidies by Try Anything Once Culinary
Today’s #ChristmasWeek giveaway comes courtesy of Freund Container & Supply. Freund Container & Supply has been helping build businesses since 1938 as the largest distributor of glass bottles, containers, and wholesale packaging supplies online. Freund offers over 5,000 items in stock every day, 98% same day shipping, and low-price guarantees. Take a look at Freund’s wide selection of jars, tins, bottles and vials for all your crafting and food related needs! To enter to win one of FIVE different Freund gift certificates, read the details and use the Rafflecopter below!
***This giveaway is for five (individually awarded) $100 gift certificates to Freund Container & Supply. Gift certificate is a one-time use certificate and must be used in its entirety; any leftover monies on the gift certificate will be forfeited. This giveaway is open to both US and Canadian residents. However, it should be noted that due to current International shipping rates, any Canadian winners will pay higher shipping costs for orders. ***
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by Freund Container & Supply. #ChristmasWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***