First off, I need to give some major props to my buddy Gerry over at Foodness Gracious for thinking of such a gorgeous combination. Avocado and basil? Who woulda thunk? But yes..its is beautiful.
And how gorgeous are these avocados? I have been hoarding them in my fruit bowl until they were finger tender perfect. I thought it would be nice to show off some of Nature’s green treats which is so perfect for St. Patrick’s Day. I may lose some bloggy buddies over this, but I have been getting a little tired of seeing all of these sweet and way too sugary “shamrock shakes” and green dyed bundt cakes. Sorry guys, it’s nothing personal..really!
As Gerry says in his post, this is not guacamole! Do we all think that just because we mash an avocado, it automatically turns into guac? Oh contraire, this bruschetta has lightly mashed avocado, fresh squeezed lemon juice a touch of garlic for a bite and fresh basil scattered throughout. The lemon and basil really brighten up the avocado and doesn’t weigh it down like I find some guac to be.
Inspired by Foodness Gracious
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Small bunch of basil, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grilled bread for serving on
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- In a bowl, mash together the avocado, garlic, lemon juice, basil and salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning.
- Drizzle grilled bread with olive oil and spread avocado bruschetta on top.
- Garnish with more basil and a light drizzle of olive oi.