First I have to say that I am a HUGE Top Chef fan..HUGE! And I am realllyyy hoping I can post this and stay off-line and not have anyone tell me who won the finale until I watch it tonight.
I’m a Sheldon fan all the way…you gotta represent Hawaii.
So today we have “overnight” oatmeal! “Overnight”? you say…what does that mean? Well, it cooks..all night. Isn’t that just awesome? I saw the idea somewhere on Pinterest and it’s pretty popular. You pt all your oatmeal ingredients in a slow cooker, go to bed and wake up with the warm smells of cinnamon and a snuggling bowl of oatmeal to brighten your day.
It is pretty amazing. This is what it looks like done in the slow cooker. Joe has been hooked on this oatmeal and now I hear him chopping away at fruit at 11pm at night. If he says its easy, its easy. Just 1 cup of oatmeal soaks in all of the flavors and liquid you put in and the oatmeal becomes creamy and thick. I like to top it with a touch of honey but really, you can add or top anything you want. Our favorite combination is apples and cinnamon and now we’re throwing in whatever dried fruit we have. I am also going to try it with frozen berries sometime.
- 1 cup steel cut oatmeal
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk (soy, almond, any will do)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2-3 apples, cored and cut into 1 in pieces
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1Tb ground cinnamon)
- 1 cup of dried fruit (anything you have, optional)
- pinch of salt
- Throw all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. It should be creamy and thick.
- Top with honey, nuts or more fruit if desired.